Access to information and management of privacy
The public’s right to access council information is regulated under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (the GIPA Act).
Councils are also required to comply with the Privacy and Personal Information and Protection Act 1998 (PPIP Act) and the Health Records Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIP Act) in collecting, using and disclosing personal and health information.
Further information on councils’ obligations under the GIPA Act, the PPIP Act and the HRIP Act is available on the NSW Information and Privacy Commissions website www.ipc.nsw.gov.au.
Click on the links below for information relating to information and privacy management.
- Circular 15-06 Information and Privacy Commission – Privacy Governance Framework
- Circular 13-03 - Revised Model Privacy Management Plan for Local Government
- Model Privacy Management Plan for Local Government
- Circular 10-30 - Councillors' Access To Information
- Circular 00/44 Privacy Code of Practice for Local Government
- Information and Privacy Commission NSW