Terms of reference
Terms of Reference for the Local Government Act 1993 and the City of Sydney Act 1988 Taskforce
The Local Government Acts Taskforce will consider the provisions of the Local Government Act 1993 and the City of Sydney Act 1988, and their practical operation so as to:
- Ensure that the legislation and statutory framework meet the current and future needs of the community, local government, and the local government sector.
- Strengthen and streamline the legislation to enable local government to deliver services and infrastructure efficiently, effectively and in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the legislation is progressive, easily understood and provides a comprehensive framework, while avoiding unnecessary red tape.
- Recognise the diversity of local government in NSW.
- Provide greater clarity on the role and responsibility of local government.
- Adopt the decisions of the Government in relation to the recommendations of the Independent Local Government Review Panel.
- Make recommendations to the Minister for Local Government for legislative changes considered necessary and appropriate for a new Local Government Act.
- Identify and recommend to the Minister for Local Government, at any time during the review process, any legislative changes that need to be implemented prior to the completion of the review.
In carrying out its work the Taskforce will:
- Engage and consult with the wider NSW community and with local government stakeholders (including the Local Government and Shires Associations of NSW, Local Government Managers Australia (NSW), local councils, village committees, county councils, regional organisations of councils, business, community, industrial and employee associations, relevant professional bodies, and government agencies) about the operation of the legislation.
- Identify key principles to underpin local government legislation in NSW. In developing these principles the Taskforce will consider legislation and its application in other jurisdictions both in Australia and overseas.
- Take account of the work, findings and government decisions, in relation to the NSW Planning System Review, the Destination 2036 Action Plan and the NSW State Plan “NSW 2021 – A Plan to make NSW number one”.
- Conduct its work in a manner that recognises the terms of reference and approach being taken by the Independent Local Government Review Panel.