17-09 Information about Rating 2017-18
Circular No 17-09 / 18 May 2017 / A545888
Who should read this
Councillors / General Managers / Council staff
Performance Team (02) 4428 4100
Information / Council to Implement
|PDF Version of Circular|
What’s new or changing
- The maximum Boarding House Tariffs and maximum interest rate chargeable on overdue rates and charges for 2017-18 has been determined.
- Section 603 Certificate fee for 2017-18 has been determined.
- The statutory limit on the maximum amount of minimum rates for 2017-18 has been determined.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils should incorporate these determinations into their 2017-18 rating structures and Operational Plan Statement of Revenue Policies.
Boarding House Tariffs 2017-18
- In accordance with section 516 of the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act), it has been determined that for the purpose of the definition of ‘boarding house’ and ‘lodging house’, the maximum tariffs, excluding GST, that a boarding house or lodging house may charge tariff-paying occupants are:
- Where full board and lodging was provided:
$372 per week per room for single accommodation; or
$616 per week per room for family or shared accommodation.
- Where less than full board and lodging is provided:
$249 per week per room for single accommodation; or
$413 per week per room for family or shared accommodation.
Maximum Interest on Overdue Rates and Charges
- In accordance with section 566(3) of the Act, it has been determined that the maximum rate of interest payable on overdue rates and charges for the 2017-18 rating year will be 7.5%.
- The methodology used to calculate the interest rate is the Supreme Court methodology (the Reserve Bank cash rate plus 6%), rounded to the nearest half per cent of the maximum interest rate for the previous year. The cash rate used for the purposes of the maximum interest rate for local government is based on the rate as at 8 February 2017.
Notice giving effect to these decisions was published in the NSW Government Gazette No 54 of 12 May 2017.
Section 603 Certificate
Under section 603 of the Act, councils may issue a certificate as to the amount (if any) of rates, charges, etc., due or payable to the council for a parcel of land. Section 603(2) states the application must be accompanied by the approved fee. In accordance with the approved methodology, the approved fee for 2017‑18 is determined to be $80.
- This determination applies to the issuing of a certificate for the matters specified in section 603(3) of the Act.
- Where a council offers to provide other information as an optional service, the council is not prevented from separately determining an approved fee for that additional service.
- Furthermore, a council is not prevented from determining approved fees for additional services required by an applicant for the expedited processing of a section 603 Certificate.
Statutory limit on the maximum amount of minimum rates
Following a recommendation by IPART, clause 126 of the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 has recently been amended, so as to provide:
- Under section 548(3)(a) of the Act the maximum amount of a minimum ordinary rate to be $514 for 2017-18 (This increase is the same level as the rate-peg limit of 1.8% for 2016-17);
- Under section 548(3)(b) of the Act the maximum amount of a minimum special rate will remain at $2.
Where to go for further information
- The NSW Legislation website at: www.legislation.nsw.gov.au
Acting Chief Executive